Finance & Taxes

Jump to Section:

Financial Plans
Property Taxes
Property Tax Deferment
Property Tax Prepayment Plan
Property Tax Notice - Instructions to Taxpayers

2015 Financial Plan


2015 Budget Message

2015 Financial Plan Budget Highlights

DRAFT 2015 Financial Plan

DRAFT 2015 Capital Improvement Plan

2014 Financial Plan

Budget Highlights (9MB PDF)

2014 Financial Plan

Bylaw 2938 - 2014 Financial Plan Amendment #1

2014 Budget Summary Message

2014 Capital Improvement Plan

2013 Financial Plan

2013 Financial Plan Fact Sheet

2013 Financial Plan

2013 Capital Improvement Plan

Financial Plan Ammendment

Property Taxes

Claim Your Home Owner Grant Online

2014 Tax Rates

Tax Notices:

Tax notices will be in the mail at the end of May. If you are living at your property and are eligible, ensure you complete your home owner grant application before the tax due date of July 2nd. The home owner grant is a Provincial Government program which offsets the school taxes on your tax notice. By signing the home owner grant on the bottom of your tax notice, you are reducing your tax bill by $570 or $845 is you are over 65 years old.

Water Rates:

The City has adopted a user pay philosophy as it relates to water consumption. Virtually all properties in the City have water meters. The 2014 rates are $1.12 per cubic meter in addition to a $50 fee. Residential water meters are read annually in March and are billed on your tax notice which you should receive at the end of May.

Commercial water users are billed every two months and receive a 10% discount if the bill is paid within 30 days. Commercial water rates (after allowing for the discount) are the same as residential rates.

Water saving techniques and altering your water consumption habits can save you money! Showering for five minutes takes approximately 114 litres or 25 gallons. A high efficiency shower head cuts that volume in half. The same is true for a faucet aerator and low flow toilets. If you leave the tap running when brushing your teeth you will use about 90 litres or 20 gallons a day. An alternative, by turning off the tap while brushing cuts it down to 2.25 liters or half a gallon.

Sewer Rates:

Sewer charges are based on 80% of the water consumption charged at $0.90 per cubic meter in addition to a $50 fee.

Property Tax Deferment:

The Provincial Government has a Tax Deferment Program which allows you to defer payment of your property taxes. To qualify you must be a Canadian citizen or landed immigrant, who is 55 years or older, or widowed or disabled as defined in the Disability Benefits Program Act. You can defer taxes on your principal residence but not on a second residence or rental property. You must have a minimum equity of 25% of the current assessed value. The Province will charge you simple interest at two per cent below the prime rate at which the province borrows money. Once you receive your tax notice, you can apply for tax deferment anytime before the July 2nd due date. Applications are available at the City Hall Finance Department.

Families With Children Property Tax Deferment Program:

The Families with Children Property Tax Deferment Program is a loan program available to assist families who are financially supporting a dependent child who is under the age of 18. The child must live full time in your home or part time under a shared custody arrangement. The eligible homeowner must have at least 15% equity in their homes to defer their 2014 property taxes.

The program is available to Canadian citizens and permanent residents who have lived in British Columbia for at least one year prior to applying for the program. You must occupy the home as your principal residence. Second residences, such as summer cottages or rental properties, do not qualify for tax deferment.

After deducting your Home Owner Grant, you can defer all or part of the unpaid balance of your residential property taxes for the current year. All penalties, interest, previous years' property taxes, and utility user fees must be paid to your municipal Tax Collector as these cannot be deferred.

You can defer your taxes as long as you own and live in your home and continue to qualify for the program. The deferred taxes must be fully repaid, with interest:

  • before your home can be legally transferred to a new owner, other than directly to your surviving spouse
  • upon the death of the agreement holder(s)

If you refinance your home, your mortgage holder may require full repayment of the deferred taxes upon refinancing. You may repay all or part of the deferred taxes and interest at any time without penalty.

Applications are available at the City Hall Finance Department.

Tax Prepayment Plan:

The City's tax prepayment plan which allows you to make 11 easy monthly instalments towards your next year's property taxes. Over 27% of the City's property owners are now taking advantage of this plan. Starting in July we estimate what the following year's taxes will be and take a property tax installment directly from your bank account on the 15 of each month. By the time the property taxes are billed the following May you will have a prepayment balance which will be used to offset the property tax billing. If you overpay we deposit your refund back into your bank account shortly after the July due date. If our estimate was a little off you can forward to us the balance owing along with your home owner grant application by July 2nd. The plan is convenient in that you don't have to worry about paying one lump sum on the tax due date, a good investment as we pay you interest on the your prepayment balance, and easy to start.

Download the Tax Prepayment Plan application

Change of Address:

We recognize that there are property owner's in the City that do not reside at their property. Please remember to let us know if you are moving and changing your mailing address. Each year we have a number of property tax notices returned by Canada Post. You are still required to make the property tax payment by the July 2nd due date regardless if you receive the notice. Help us help you.

Tax Notice Instructions to Taxpayers

Home Owner Grant

See explanatory notes on the back of your tax notice for qualifications. If eligible, complete the application in full, each and every year. You may claim the grant without making a payment. To avoid penalties on the grant amount application must be received by the Finance Department on or before July 2nd. To avoid loss of the grant eligibility the application must be received no later than December 31. Click here for more information about home owner grants.

Additional Grant Requirements (Column C) - If you:

  • will be 65 in the current year or older, complete your date of birth on the grant application
  • are receiving the War Veteran's Allowance, or Merchant Navy or Civilian War Allowance, send the stub from your most recent DVA cheque with your grant application.
  • are receiving an allowance under the "Disability Benefit Program Act" obtain a letter confirming your status from your Department of Human Resources caseworker, and send it to us with your grant application.
  • are a person with a permanent physical disability and are likely to require physical assistance or costly environmental modifications to your home in order to manage normal daily functioning in your home, call the Finance Department at 604-514-2800 to obtain a medical certificate to be completed by your physician.

Payment of Taxes (Authorized Collection Agencies)

Full or partial payment may be made by July 2nd at the City Hall (corner of Douglas Crescent and 204th Street) or at most branches of the following authorized collection agencies:

  • CIBC
  • TD Bank
  • Bank of Montreal
  • HSBC
  • Bank of Nova Scotia
  • National Bank
  • Prospera Credit Union
  • Envision Credit Union
  • Westminster Savings Credit Union
  • Royal Bank
  • Coast Capital Savings
  • VanCity Credit Union

If making a payment on the due date, please check your bank stamp to ensure the correct date. Payments made at the above agencies may be subject to a service charge.

Taxes paid by mortgage companies

You must still apply for the Home Owners Grant if eligible, by July 2nd to avoid penalties. Contact your mortgage company for instructions on whether to send the completed grant application to your mortgage company or directly to the City of Langley.


A 5% penalty will be added to the outstanding current taxes remaining unpaid after July 2nd and a further 5% will be added after August 2nd . These penalties are also applicable to the Home Owner Grant portion of your taxes, if you do not apply by July 2nd.

Interest on unpaid taxes from prior years

Interest is charged at the prevailing rate from January 1st of this year to the date payment is received. For convenience, interest shown on the tax notice has been calculated to July 2nd. The interest rate is set by the Province on the 1st day of January, May and September. At January 1, 2014 the rate was 6.00%

Delinquent taxes

If taxes are delinquent, this property may be sold for taxes at 10:00 am on the last Monday in September, September 29th in 2014, unless the delinquent taxes plus interest are sooner paid.


To reduce civic expenses, please accept your cancelled cheque as your receipt. Detach and enclose the remittance stub (grant application) with your payment. However, if you require a receipted tax statement, send the entire tax notice with a note attached requesting a receipt. Receipt is void if cheque is dishonoured.

Property sold

If you no longer own this property, please forward this tax notice to the new owners or return it to the City of Langley advising us of the new owners name and address.

New Owners

If your name does not appear on the tax notice as the registered owner and you are eligible for the Home Owners Grant, you may apply for the grant but you must enclose a copy of the Transfer of Fee Simple or other document conveying the property to you showing the registration and the date of registration at the Land Titles Office.

Change of Mailing Address

If the mailing address on the tax notice is not correct please advise the Finance Department. Notification given to other civic departments may not alter property tax and assessment records.

For further information

Please telephone the Finance Department at (604) 514-2800.