Langley City Council adopted the 2017-2021 Strategic Plan at the Regular Council Meeting held on June 12, 2017 . The role of a Strategic Plan is to guide all planning processes within the City of Langley based on three fundamental elements: our vision, our mission and our values. Built on input from Council, staff, citizens and other stakeholders, the 2017 – 2021 Strategic Plan is a living document that will guide the City over the next five years. It is a mechanism to proactively address opportunities and challenges as they arise in order to achieve our vision and mission and sustain the high quality of life that we currently enjoy.
Building on the previous strategic plans, our vision remains unchanged as “The Place to Be”, but our mission and Key Result Areas (KRAs) have evolved to reflect our current focus and priorities. Our new mission statement is ‘a vibrant, healthy and safe community’ which reflects that the Langley City continues to be a thriving community as we move into 2017 and beyond. Development, arts and culture, and recreational opportunities are all flourishing. Ongoing improvements to transportation and infrastructure are evident throughout the City, as are key environmental initiatives. Council and Staff are working diligently on several fronts to build a strong sense of community that provides a high quality of life where people choose to live, work and prosper.
Key Results Areas (KRAs)
1. Infrastructure Renewal: We recognize the need for, and are committed to, establishing, a long-term, financially-responsible infrastructure renewal plan for all municipal assets.
2. Quality of Life: We are a community that is an ideal place to raise a family, offers a welcoming and affordable living environment, boasts great leisure and recreational opportunities, and supports healthy, safe and diverse neighbourhoods.
3. Communication: We communicate effectively with our citizens, customers, partners, and stakeholders, involving them in decisions which impact and interest them, and engaging them in public life.
4. Revitalization: We have a revitalized downtown core that is vibrant, clean and safe, is a desirable location for industry, and our policies and strategies create a vibrant economy that position the City as the Regional Hub in the Fraser Valley for innovation, education, technology, shopping, health industry, leisure, and entertainment.
5. Environment: We continue to focus on protecting, promoting and enhancing environmental assets in the community.
6. Protective Services: We maintain and foster partnerships with law enforcement agencies, community groups, neighbourhoods, and citizens to address public safety and socio-economic issues in the community.
7. Organizational Excellence: We stand out as a results-oriented, engaged and innovative work force with a strong service ethic and high level of customer service, and a City Council that is accessible to its citizens.
Making progress in these Key Result Areas (KRAs) will define our success over the next five years, and anchor our accountability to our individual and corporate citizens. The Strategic Plan will continue to evolve as goals are achieved and the needs of the community change. Progress on the Strategic Plan initiatives are reported publicly in the City’s Annual Report and the departmental Business Plans each year.